Friday, November 19, 2010

What are your favorite Christmas decorations?!

I'm gearing up for Christmas!! Okay, I've been "gearing up" for Christmas since about...eh...September. Yes, I am one of those obnoxious people that cheers as soon as the Christmas decorations start going up in October, and jumps up and down when Christmas music comes on in the stores. Last night, an insuppressible "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  escaped when I saw Sutter Street in Old Folsom all lit up with Christmas lights and trees.

So, naturally, all of my fall decorations are coming down and the Christmas decor is going up! I was trying to brainstorm with my friend, Sunny, about items in our Christmas Boxes that make Christmas Christmas. The Box. The box that holds all of your memories, nostalgia and tummy warming cheer. The box that takes you back to the one Christmas it snows and you got a sweet pink power trike.

These

  • Snowman! 
    • Snowman garlands, momma snowmen (snowwomen?) with a baby! 
  • Snowglobes
  • Christmas lights
  •  Garlands
  • Christmas candles that smell like decade old wax. 
  • Antique glass ornaments
  • Babyfood jar Christmas tree (I'm doing this craft; I'll post a picture of it to show you when I finish!) 
  • Sleigh for cards 
  • Tin foil christmas stars 
  • Wooden Santas 
  • The JOY train 
  • A glass deer that was special so mom got to hang it
  • Gingerbread ornaments
  • Candle Joel for mom when he was little, now when we open the Christmas Box, the whole room smells like that candle
Needless to say, I love Christmas and all that the season entails: snow, ice, evergreens, pine, ice skating, people hurrying and in cheery shopping moods. Sigh....

(photo courtesy of CRM)
What's your favorite part of Christmas? What decorations do you look forward to taking out each year?

4 comments:

  1. Hmmmm. I think I like the Christmas Mugs, Christmas Plates, and the soft glow of Christmas lights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine is a record album. Guess which one?:) and yes, we already played it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The foil star from Joel's kindergarten days (yes, it HAS to go on the top of the tree, still)! The fabric-framed photo-ornaments of my three kids that I tried to make several years running, anything made by my kids, tatted lace snowflakes that my grandmother made, a small metal bell somewhere on the tree. So many of them have special meaning and such nostalgia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this about you! I of course the same way... One of my customers complained about how "corporate" Peets was getting because they we were playing Christmas music in November... I was crushed because I was the one who chose the music! Peet's made us change it back to classical.

    ReplyDelete