Tim and I have been living in Durham, North Carolina for just over a month now. We are settling in fine; I managed to put in a small garden before school started, and Tim started a new job this last week! My classes are amazing and extraordinarily intimidating. I think, albeit nervously, I am keeping my head above water thus far. Our new home is charming and full of old world charm (and old world rundown-ness in some parts). The backyard is amazing! We have put up a hammock and had a bonfire already. Big trees lean over the property and the wind ruffles the leaves so that it sounds a bit like running water. All of North Carolina, in fact, is amazingly green! In a lot of ways, it reminds me of Washington. All that green, the changing weather, the mix of deciduous and coniferous. The only thing missing is that fresh air. Ah, the air that sears into your lungs so deep you had almost forgotten you could breathe that deeply. But I digress, all in all, we're doing great here.
There is a however, however. I miss feeling comfortable. Not in the sense that I am continuously agitated. I miss feeling continuously comfortable. I miss knowing exactly where all the grocery stores are. I miss my friends who could understand and love me in every mood because that is one of the gifts time can bestow on relationship. I am tired of new.
I think time will cure that also, but for now I am just giving myself the space to say, I want everything to be known for a day. (Not to be God mind you, just known in the sense of familiar). Familiar in the sense that even if it's unexpected, it's unexpected in a familiar way.
Cheers
(On an unrelated note, I started a new blog-ironic no? It's mostly observations and papers from my experience at Duke. But if your curious it's here)
No comments:
Post a Comment