Saturday, August 27, 2011

Diversity....A Decision? A Gift? A Journey?

Well. It's been a-while. Tim and I have journeyed across the country and are now settled in Durham, North Carolina. I start classes at Duke this coming Monday and am going through all of the nervousness, terror, thrill, euphoria of beginning this journey.

This last week, we were put through orientation. To orient us to the college, the community, the worship, the atmosphere of our new home. I have never been asked SO much "What denomination are you?" I feel like I don't even know how to answer that question. I want to say, "What denomination am I not?" but that feels ignorant. What are they getting at to ask that question? Do they want to know my theology? Do they want to know if I'm a true believer? It feels like it's meant to categorize us all away into all our niches. And I know I'm sounding horribly post-modern here. Forgive me. I guess I just don't understand the question. But. Here's what I've come to realize:

The culture of the south is "Christian". Anyone and everyone is christian. To ask what denomination someone is, is to ask "What's your background," "What history do you have," "What do you believe about x?" and sometimes "Are you really a Christian or just a christian?" and "Are you like me?" But is it so wrong to assume (or at least be okay with) everyone being "christian"? Is that such a fatal error?

I guess in some ways I can appreciate the question. It orients us to some degree, it sums up a little of our history and what we affiliate ourselves with. But in other ways, I feel like it just begins to divide us again into little camps. Here's us, there's you. But of course we are all different; even in the same denomination we are different. Is it necessary to divide it up all the way down? Maybe so. Maybe not. I'm journeying :)

One of the speeches in our orientation was on diversity. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't the cliche "Be nice to the differents" speech. The speaker wonderfully articulated how all of us, even in the littlest of ways, separate ourselves from the different. We say, "I know you think that, but unfortunately, it's wrong. And that thinking is weak. I could tear you apart up one side and down the other." And the speaker, Dr. Willie Jennings, said, "I urge you, beg you, when you are in these situations listen to the other person. Listen to what they say. Stop talking. Build community with people who are different from you. Seek out people who think differently." And I did feel challenged. I like people who are open minded, who think well, who don't define a religion by a prayer.

Anyway, we had a guest over the other night. And I have to say, I don't know when the last time I was challenged so much. I am learning to be comfortable simply not liking people. We all have differences; it's natural that we wouldn't all get along. But on the other hand, how am I doing at embracing diversity if I can't be around people who are SO different from me?

I find a war within myself (help me Candace): how do I balance not liking someone and not wanting to be around them at all and still being open to learn from those who are different from me and being willing to allow them to be themselves with me? How are we to embrace diversity and learn from those who are different from us if they are not returning the favor so to speak? If he who is different from us is so close-minded and judgmental about everything, how can he have the mindset to embrace diversity in me and learn from me? If it's not returned, if it's not mutual, does it become damaging to both parties? Or at least to one? Do we "embrace" them at arm's length and hold close those who understand us?

Ultimately, what do you do when you spend the entire night wanting to shout obscenities and drink copious amounts of alcohol just to cope with your company?



3 comments:

  1. Gosh Ju, what a great post! I love what your professor challenged. We talked with some friends last night about our new journey and spent some time processing the few negative conversations we have had with other people who are not in agreement with it. You're right. How do we open our minds to listen and learn when they, themselves are so closed off? When you are trying so hard not to let their words sting, but they still do?

    Maybe they are wrestling internally and using you and me as the punching bag without knowing they are hurting?

    I think they put themselves at arms length when that happens...

    Thanks for the honesty.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The war within yourself rages on. It is the struggle between what you feel you SHOULD do and the reality of what is happening right before you.

    Let's be clear here. Just because someone is different than you ISN'T a reason to "get to know them." The basics of human attraction still have to be at play - of a spark of friendship, of a burgeoning respect - in order for us to really WANT to listen. My advice, stop beating yourself up about the people you don't like, and go out and find people you DO like.

    All humans are different. Seeking diversity as narrowly defined by religion, ethnicity, or culture as a staunch practice is fruitless. Seek to see the diversity in all humankind around you.

    Becoming comfortable with not liking people is an interesting maturation. You don't have to like them, it's how you treat them that really matters. My guess is you treated them quite well. Leave it alone and go find some people you like!

    Just because it's difficult doesn't make it of merit. Sometimes the easiest things are the most virtuous and perusing something just because it's hard is an empty and controlling way to develop your own character. Who you are exactly in this moment is exactly who you are supposed to be in this moment, it has been divined for you. Release your self-improvement and need for christian betterment to the divine other.

    Lots of advice. Hope some makes sense.
    crm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything that Candace said. While I was reading your post, I was feeling all of those things, but I have a hard time articulating my thoughts--Candace is WONDERFUL at it!

    It's okay to not like people. It really is. How many people are on this planet? Are you expected to get along with all of them? There are plenty of people out there that you can learn from, you shouldn't have to waste your time trying to glean something from a person who sets you on edge. What do you benefit from that? Besides a test of your own endurance, I guess.

    I love you for trying. And I miss you like crazy. When you have breaks in between writing papers for school (you scholastic girl, you), please keep posting. I love reading what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete